Friday, June 22, 2012

Reflections on the Sandusky Verdict

Former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky was just found guilty of 45 counts of child molestation. If media reports are correct, the decision was eminently just, and Sandusky was clearly guilty of disgusting crimes.
Justice has been served - and justice is only to be welcomed. But many people are demanding more than mere justice for Sandusky. Cries are coming from a host of sources that Sandusky himself be raped in prison, and even that he "rot in hell." 
That reaction disturbs me intensely. It may be a natural reaction of fallen humanity to wish horrible things on hateful people – but it is not a Christian reaction.
Most of us have skeletons of our own in our closets. I know I have absolutely nightmarish skeletons in mine. And I know that my crimes would earn me the undying scorn of those who don't know me.
I would never defend a child molester. Anyone who would commit a crime of that nature has plumbed the depths of evil, and should be punished to the full extent of the law. But I would never pray that anyone, even a child molester, "rot in Hell." Nor would I pray that those who foolishly defend him rot in Hell, either (as I have seen others do).
My own sins are many. And if I would ask for mercy for myself, I must offer mercy to others.
I pray for Sandusky's repentance, not his torture and death. Even the worst humans can be converted and brought to Christ. I know this, because I have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for Posting Comments:
1)All commentary is to be respectful.
2)Foul language/crude commentary is prohibited.
3)Use proper punctuation and capitalization.
4)Keep all posts in understandable English.
5)Refrain from personal/ad hominem attacks.
6) Sarcasm, humor, and witty commentary are welcomed.
All posts that violate these rules will be removed.
And the most important rule:
7) All posts are to reflect a spirit of Christian charity.